Thursday, May 17, 2007

I HAVE NOT COME TO PRAISE JERRY FALWELL. . .

I have come to bury him, . . . in reality and truth!

It is a simple reality about religious people. Some are sincere and some are in it just for the money. Which was Jerry Falwell?

I remember coming across the Jerry Falwell’s religious programs during the 70’s and 80’s. The big thing I remember was the way he asked for money. Jerry told people how it took faith for God to act. To express that faith, they should send him what ever they could send so that Jerry could “pray” for them. They should send in their “prayer wish” and explain what their need was. Then Jerry Falwell would pray for them and their need.

Of course, Jerry Falwell had proof that his prayers worked. Jerry Falwell produced witnesses that told their stories about how they sent in their “Prayer wish” and how they were rewarded. Jerry Falwell got a lot of “prayer wishes.”

I can imagine poor, needy, and yet gullible people; so desperate for help in their lives that they took their last few dollars and sent them in. I can imagine those who had abundance and yet sent some money in to Jerry Falwell with a hope that more abundance would come their way. I can imagine struggling families, with sick members, desperate for hope, sending in all they had; just so Jerry Falwell would say a prayer for them and God would help them.

Can you imagine this?

Was Jerry Falwell doing the work of the Lord? Or was Jerry Falwell doing the work of a con man preying on the weakness of true believers? How does sending money to Jerry Falwell equal faith? How does money equate to cure? Why do people in need believe that Jerry Falwell can help them through prayer, aside from the obvious that Jerry Falwell told them he could? How was Jerry Falwell feeding the sheep of Jesus? How was Jerry Falwell fulfilling the directive that Jesus gave to his disciples?

The twenty first chapter of John highlights some of the activities of Jesus after he was resurrected. After feeding the disciples on fish and bread for breakfast, Jesus asked some interesting questions of Simon Peter. Starting with verse 15; When, now, they had breakfasted, Jesus said to Simon Peter: “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?” He said to him: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He (Jesus) said to him: “Feed my lambs.” 16 Again he said to him, a second time: “Simon son of John, do you love me?” He (Simon Peter) said to him: “Yes, Lord, you know I have affection for you.” He (Jesus) said to him: “Shepherd my little sheep.” 17 He (Jesus) said to him the third time: “Simon son of John, do you have affection for me?” Peter became grieved that he said to him the third time: “Do you have affection for me?” So he said to him: “Lord, you know all things; you are aware that I have affection for you.” Jesus said to him: “Feed my little sheep….”

Feeding the sheep was so important that Jesus emphasized it three times. Jesus never talked or asked about what the sheep would do in return! Jesus only emphasized “Feeding the sheep.” In fact, Jesus said that loving him would mean feeding the sheep. How was Jerry Falwell “feeding the little sheep”? Or was Jerry Falwell fleecing the “little sheep”?

That’s As I See It. . .