Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Pardons:

I remember a time when the President of the United States was pardoned and how it made me feel. I was angry! I was angry that Nixon wouldn't get his just deserts. I was angry that I would not have the satisfaction of seeing him go to jail and suffer the indignity of that experience. I was angry at Gerald Ford.

It wasn't until many years later that I saw the true worth of Gerald Ford's wisdom. He said he pardoned Nixon to get the country moving forward. The country had suffered enough from Watergate and it was now time to heal. It was all those years later that I agreed with him. I would have to be satisfied with the humiliation Nixon suffered upon resigning.

Do we now have a similar situation with Bush? Should he be pardoned for the crimes he has committed against the People of this country and the Constitution? I say NO! Bush has suffered no humiliation, no evidence laid before a committee, and his own party has not condemned him. All that his party wants to do now is pass a law to prevent Bush from being charged and facing the evidence.

Is that enough to satisfy the country? to heal the country? to move the People forward to solve the real problems we face? Unequivocally NO.

The reason for this pardon is to avoid punishment and humiliation, not just of Bush but of the Republican Party. To avoid the obvious situation of admitting he was wrong. This is not a healing act by a wise government. This is a deliberate attempt of avoidance. There is no regret, no remorse of deeds done. Instead we have an arrogance that claims Kingly power and continues with illegal activity. That is not worthy of forgiveness!

Right now the Senate of these United States is considering a bill to forgive Bush and his cohorts of past crimes. Is that what you want for this country? Is that going to heal the wrongs? Or is that just going to leave us with a mess and no one to investigate?

That's as I see it. . .